Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Homesteading Adventure #10: March 16th Hatching Progress

11:30 am: Egg #18 has pipped!

12:30 pm: Egg #3 has pipped!

3:45 pm: Egg #18 has made a little progress. It's definitely not moving quite as fast as Egg #8 moved.
Egg #3 has made a tiny bit of progress. I can still see it moving around in there.
I think Egg #19 pipped at the wrong end and at the bottom. This isn't the norm and doesn't normally end well, but fingers are crossed for the little guy to get out safe and sound.

7:45 pm: Still waiting.....
Egg #18 has come to a complete stand still after mostly zipping. I am hoping it's just taking a rest before the grand entrance, but I'm concerned the little thing might have died.
Egg #3 is still taking her sweet time. Still peeping and moving around but there is just a tiny hole still
Egg # 19 My plan is to turn it if egg #18 and #3 would hurry the heck up! Once they are hatched, and if no others have pipped I could break the rules again and quickly turn it so at least the pip is facing up.
Egg #8 AKA Crash is doing awesome. Cute as can be and spunky.
I'm surprisingly calm considering I've been waiting all day to see a new chick.

9:30 pm:
I'm pretty sure Egg #18 is dead. :-( Poor thing zipped almost all the way and I'm pretty sure that the way I have the eggs in the egg carton made it impossible for it to break the egg open. I have them laying over the top because in my infinite newbie wisdom, that way was better than just sticking them in the way they should be. Learning experience, right???
Egg #3 is either really lazy or really screwed. They say that it can take up to 24-48 hours sometimes to finish the hatch once they pip. I guess I don't have much choice but to wait it out.
Egg #19 has done nothing at all.
Blah.....this day has kind of turned out to be a bust, as far as chicks are concerned. :-( I'm exhausted. I'm going to sleep and going to hope that I wake up to something in the incubator that'll make me smile....
Seriously, this "farming" thing might prove to be too much for my little heart.

3/17/10: Both Egg #18 and Egg # 3 died. :-(
I was totally bumming last night when I realized that we lost #3 too.
This is a learning process and sometimes newbies decide to go against the rules (i.e. opening the incubator to take chicks out instead of waiting until the hatch is complete, moving things around because the newly hatched chick is Crashing around).
I will not open the incubator until Thursday. At that point whatever hasn't hatched, I'm pretty sure isn't going to make it out. And next time I incubate eggs, I will follow the lockdown rules and not open the incubator until the hatch is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment